November 10, 2010

Friends, Fun, and Foliage

Dear Mom,

Before this year, I never really took the time to notice how beautiful the fall season is here in Maine. I mean, I have lived here my whole life, but I feel like I am truly experiencing it for the first time. Since John and I both work full time now, we've been making sure to do something fun during our weekends off to enjoy the outdoors.

In October we headed north on a roadtrip one afternoon to Almanac Mountain:



We walked out onto "The Ledges" that overlook several connecting lakes. It was a sunny, beautiful day and the colors of the foliage were just icing on the cake!



Note: Unless you have a truck or jeep-- avoid driving up this mountain! John's poor car found that out the hard way (but she still came out in tip top shape!). We ended up having to pull over and walk part of the way to save ourselves from a flat tire and having to hitch hike home, but all in all, it was a wonderful day.

Another weekend, we went down to Brunswick to attend our friends' wedding. Bobby & Angela put together one heck of a great wedding, and we had a blast. We had no idea that some of our friends were actually friends with the groom too, so that was a very pleasant surprise. We ate great food, had lots of wine, danced all night, and still managed to take the bride and groom out to a bar afterward (oh yes, wedding dress and all!). The best wedding I have gone to, by far!



We also drove down to visit Dad a few weekends ago. John really wanted to go to the beach while we were in town, which didn't appeal to me whatsoever because it was pretty cold out, but I caved since he didn't grow up right near the coast like I did. I am glad he thought of taking a trip out there. I've never seen the waves around here get so huge (although they may not look too big in the pictures)!



I love this next picture-- I look completely foolish, but I'm so genuinely happy in it that I don't even care!



And here's John. I assume you approve, I mean, just look at him! How could you not?!



And it actually snowed on Halloween this year. Enough so that my little neighbors made a snowman before they went trick-or-treating!



Now that all the leaves are making their way to the ground and the days are getting shorter, it's clear that winter is just around the corner. People are already complaining about the cold weather (although no one is stopping them from moving away...), but I won't be joining in. I am actually excited to see what fun things John and I will get ourselves into. Bring on the snow, mittens, the winter coat you bought me, ice scrapers, hot chocolate, and yes, even those freshly shaved legs that get prickly the second you step foot outside the door. I'm ready!

Love,
Sami

3 comments:

  1. Sami, I feel sure your Mom will be thrilled to receive this letter in heaven. You have shown appreciation for the beauty of the lovely fall weather and admitted to being genuinely happy in the pic.
    You have achieved your goal.
    Thought I would share with you the Thought for Today.org
    'As you do, so you become. Every action that you perform is recorded in you, the soul. These imprints ultimately mould your character and destiny. When you understand this principle, you will pay more attention to bringing your best to everything you do.' Sometimes that simply means focusing on the positive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sami, What great pictures! It's so good to hear you have been enjoying yourself these past weekends. I think loss makes us appreciate simple things like fall weather (ok, winter weather too) more. Oh, I do approve of John, as if it matters. ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Chez, such a great quote!

    Nancy, of course it matters! Thank you! Come February you're going to have to remind me to keep enjoying the simple things (like massive amounts of Maine snow!)

    ReplyDelete